Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pilgrimage



It was  Spring Break and I was going to Key West. A high school friend, one with whom I'd recently reconnected, and I were gong together.

I wanted to go to the very end end of the Keys - set out to do at the early 70's - and only got as far as Marathon, FL - 50  miles short of arriving at the most southern point in the USA at the time.

My friend and I were going to become Episcopal nuns when we were in grade school - we were drawn to the hierarchy of the Angels of that tradition. Our horizons expanded soon after we discovered boys.

I had a pilgrimage planned so to arrive at a Spiritual destination at the end of the week. I had simply assumed that El Nino would let the sun shine for the whole week. If it didn't, I had a Plan B that kept the significance of the pilgrimage as a journey with Spirit.

I do have to say that my friend might not have been as into the pilgrimage context as I was.  She was the one who chose the perfect eating places and tours that added some most pleasurable content to this journey of ours.

This was  not my first pilgrimage. I do this at each turning point of my life - that almost completed journey to the end of the Keys being the first self-conscious trek.

Each pilgrimage has been the most important thing I'd ever done up to that point of my life.

.Each has been the turning point I needed in my life. Here again, I anticipate the transformation, the letting go of the past, receiving the gift of joy for its entire experience, and a readiness to embrace a new phase of life.

We arrived.Thanks to my friend's immersing us in the stops along the way and my own sense of sacred pilgrimage, it was one of those meaningful occasion's on the journey of a life's time.

When is a time for you that you wouldn't have missed it for anything, especially since you partner on the journey brought along a different  perspective?

No comments: