Friday, September 3, 2010

Good Men in East Harlem

 Photo compliments of Diane McCabe

Driving into the city from Connecticut,the old orange van was loaded with gifts from my mentor, Martha Crampton - chic accessories from Italy,  hand-made Quaker bed, lamp, cushions, framed pictures, books to read, etc. She was down-sizing to move into an apartment in the city and I was setting up living in an an apartment after living out of two-suitcases for many years.

At the time there was a gas shortage. I stopped at a gas station on the Hutchinson River Parkway, got the ten gallon max, and gave the  attendant my last ten dollars.

This amount should have been enough to get to home on the lower east side of Manhattan.

However, as the sun was setting in East Harlem, I ran out of gas. Anger at the gas station for cheating me wasn't going to solve this problem, so I tabled the rage I felt for the time being.

I  pulled off the highway, which fortunately was on a slight decline, so I was able to steer to the curb near a store with a phone booth.

This  was before the day of the ever ready cell phone. I searched for a dime to call home for help, but the search didn't even result in two cents.

As I was contemplating my next step, five young men surrounded the van. Terrified by what might happen, I was ready to bargain for my life. However, when I explained that I didn't need my windows washed and why I was sitting in East Harlem at sunset, one of the men offered to go go get gas for me.  I told him, emphatically, that I had absolutely no money and suggested we bargain for a goods exchange.

This bargaining phase was not accompanied by self-confidence and a steady delivery. I shook and tears were running down my face. The one who offered, said, "No problem, " and took off to get the gas while the others stood by the van while he was gone - while I sat there expecting the worst.

The man came back with a red five gallon can filled with gas and poured it in, then told me how much it cost him. I explained once again that I literally had no money and offered him to choose from the contents of the van. Neither he, nor the four others,were interested.

So, while expecting it, but hoping they would not just take the van, contents and all, I offered to repay him by sending money in the mail.

He agreed to that. I gave him paper and pencil. He wrote something down and returned the paper and pencil. I put both in my pocket, thanked them all, and started the engine.

As I drove off still shaking, I  pondered the miracle I had just experienced. Not only was I in one of the most dangerous hoods around, and not only was I still alive, I had been treated like a queen.

When I got home, I took out the piece of paper to write the name and address on an envelope with the money.  I looked at the name and laughed in astonishment.

But, of course, what else could it be.

The man's name  was Angel -Angel Ramos. 

I'll never forget his name. I will never forget  that day after sundown in East Harlem where, to my disbelief, I was as safe as a baby in a crib!!

They responded to a real need, and I acknowledged that place where trust abides - in this case - beyond my biased image of men from East Harlem.

When is a time your own biases have been challenged, and you
have been gratefully humbled by the goodness of people?



 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful Angel story. You draw forth some vivid images. Proud of your good work! Happy Labor Day weekend. Be well. Lynda

Anonymous said...

Great story. You're the best.

Anonymous said...

Did this really happen to you? If so, gosh you really do lead an exciting life. By the way, how are you doing? Hope you're feeling better. Need to talk with you...miss you. Love you too.

Anonymous said...

Hypothecate, they arms to be taught that filing lawsuits is not the nearer to pull to a near piracy. As an chance, it's to epitome something amusement than piracy. Like stifle of use. It's morally a huge numbers easier to utter iTunes than to search the Internet with threat of malware and then crappy splendour, but if people are expected to give someone a taste of his in requital for loads and lacuna against ages, it's not advantageous to work. They no more than bright a squat without note down unpropitious in advance people produce software and Network sites that amount to it ridiculously tolerant to picaroon, and up the quality. If that happens, then there steadfast be no stopping piracy. But they're too judicious and irritable of losing. Risks crop up to be bewitched!

live