Thursday, September 30, 2010

Seeing Red


The 18 voices of the "Sweet Adelines" were harmonizing on the stage of a district gathering of Beta Sigma Phi Sorority. They all wore dresses of shimmering red.
500 women of all adult ages were mesmerized by their  animated sound and coordinated movements, as was I.
Because of the commanding presence of this group of singers, or the first time, in I can't remember when, I felt that I belonged where I was at that moment in time.  
Red, a color popularly used to interpret as anger, wrong answers, and, in some traditions, death,  now had an entirely different meaning in this moment.
Of course, there are red valentines, red holly berries, red-nosed reindeer, red white and blue, 5th City's red and black, lady in red is dancing with me, etc. Red isn't always used to represent those more ominous entities.
Here, in this moment, was red harmonizing powerfully, touching the deeps of a room full of women.

I find myself reflecting on the song, "Some people wait a life time for a moment like this", and I realize there have been hundreds of moments like this in my life's time.

Reflect on these moments in your life's time when you felt like you really belonged where you were.  Which stands out as particularly significant?

No comments: