Friday, August 27, 2010

Loneliness

Recently, loneliness came for an extended visit, a nagging annoyance for even the most gracious of  hostesses.

I wrote for hours at a time, but there was nothing to show for the time spent writing.

I watched TV, but did not follow or retain the content of whatever show was playing. I couldn't even follow the commercials.

I turned to the potters wheel, but never got around to molding the clay into the little mala bowls I was planning.

I sorted the acrylics, chose the brushes,  and designed the canvas in my head, but no paint ever left a tube.

I unwrapped the training DVD for my new caamera, but never even placed it in the CD player on the computer.

I pulled out all the canning jars I could find, but wasn't strong enough as yet to pick up the canning pot and put it on the stove.

Finally, I made a couple of phone calls to rendezvous with friends, but not one  returned my call.

Mind you, I was not depressed. - just consumed with loneliness and wishing  it would leave. I had a great deal of energy - went to the gym every day, made the bed, and ate carefully (as opposed to trying to fill the loneliness as if it were a hole).

I was reflecting on this state of being which was determined to stay. All alone with the feeling, I was struck with the notion that loneliness and I are ONE.

At about the same time, I woke up to my surroundings. I was sitting on my favorite wicker chair on my porch. Even in the stifling hot humidity, there was a cool breeze dancing through the sunny air.  Birds - bald eagles or osprey - were floating on the breeze. Air conditioners were humming and a buzz saw around the corner was cutting down a tree. 

As I was noticing all this, one of the cats, hopped up in my lap and began to kneed my bare leg as he nestled into cuddling position, nudging me to begin the ritual scratching of his neck.

There was a lot going on around me and lots to do. Yet, I was alone with loneliness and we were ONE. I slowly relaxed into the presence of loneliness.  As I breathed acceptance into loneliness' existence, loneliness relaxed and took its place, like my cat on my lap - first digging into me, causing discomfort, then nestling into its own safe place in my life.

Loneliness, when acknowledged and accepted, is valuable, precious, healing. and brings meaning to the moment. Trying to get rid of  loneliness only increases stress.

We all are, finally, alone. All ONE.

Loneliness is not a feeling exclusive to the few. We all experience loneliness. How do you deal with loneliness when distractions don't finally work?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The one thing we are all truly afraid of--being alone. And, being without a sense of purpose. No matter how hard we try to fill the void, it's always either lurking around the corner of staring us in the face.

Anonymous said...

schlogging right about now. Having a little trouble making my plans a reality.

Anonymous said...

I've started reading your blog and I'm enjoying it. You're a good writer. I like the one on lonliness. Roseanne

Anonymous said...

India had a powerful impact on our lives. I'm still processing it and will be I'm sure for a long time. We meditated in caves where yogis spent long years alone going inward to find the SELF. The power and presence was potent. Now we are home reconciling the radical outer difference. Deep inside it is the same. All One. Roseanne Sands

Anonymous said...

The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.


~ Rumi ~


(The Essential Rumi, versions by Coleman Barks)

Anonymous said...

I pet the dogs and pet them and pet them ...

Fabulous photo! Winkie

Anonymous said...

When are you putting all these fabulous writings in a book?! I'll buy IT!

It all makes me think, both good thoughts and painful ones ... very cathartic at times!

Love, W

Anonymous said...

Ours has been called the "lonely society"
Some studies have indicated that 75-90% of adult Americans suffer from chronic loneliness. Andrew

Anonymous said...

A facebook post from Rosalind:
I read what you wrote about loneliness today, Sunday, having one of my ah ha experiences. oh, that is what I am supposed to read,what I am experiencing now that I am really alone, sans husband, sans children, even sans a dog or cat (the last two my choice) , I have an instinct that it is connected to what do the really, really old do, when they have let go of everything, or everything has let go of them.

Anonymous said...

From a facebook comment:
Your loneliness post reminds me of a psalm or a haiku poem where more than resolution, an ascendant understanding, a new place becomes. Thank you. Ann Shafer