Thursday, August 12, 2010

Grand Canyon

It was a hot August afternoon. I was sitting on the edge of the Grand Canyon, observing an eagle nesting on a ledge below  and to the right of me.

Earlier that day, I had taken a left and gone north because I saw a bill board that said, "You can't come this far and not go to the Grand Canyon".

Of course, much to my surprise it took half a day to get there from Route 66, the road I was traveling from San Jose, CA to Ft. Sill, OK.

I was lost in an eagle's flying to and from its nest which held eaglets,, when I became aware that a photographer had pulled up in his car and was taking pictures of the eagle and other views of this great gap on this earth.

I also noticed that the sun was beginning to set, soon it would be dark, and I had no idea how long it would take to get to a motel. Since I was traveling alone, I thought it best not to tent, but to get in my car and drive on down the road.

The sun set and darkness filled the drive down the mountains. The ride took all night. I did not dare stop anywhere, perhaps from sheer fear, perhaps from better judgment.

Elated from the day, rushing with adrenaline from the dark unknown, and exhausted from lack of sleep, I wound my way down the road

.During the ride, intermittently,  ghostly faces appeared of Indians in full headdress or as warriors, or as women with papooses on their back, and occasionally an animal. (I have always welcomed these apparitions). When the faces appeared,  I felt safer and more mindful than when there was only the darkness.

I imagined them as guides sent from the Universe itself. Tiredness left, I relaxed, and almost felt as if I were drifting through the journey of a life's time.

Soon, the sun began its ascent. I was near a small rustic town which had yet to awaken, so I kept on driving until I could go no further. I pulled into a motel, paid the guy his cash requirement (what did he think I was there to do?!!!) and got some sleep.

As I pulled out of the motel parking lot, I reflected on the night's journey, and wondered about the reality of it all.  It was real, even if it was an imagination enlivened by fear. It was very real!

We have all had these super-natural experiences.

What has been your experience of being guided through the darkness, safely and present to the wonder of it all?

No comments: