Friday, October 30, 2009

On Writing About Experiences

At one point toward the end of twenty years in public education, I decided to write a novel of my experience and learnings. I dreamed about how it would be funny and painful, insightful and ironic. It would definitely be a best seller due to its ability to renew and refresh a passion for making a positive difference in kids' lives. However, after reading Teacher Man (and Angela's Ashes and 'Tis), I came to the conclusion that Frank McCourt got that book written, and had done a better job at it than I ever could. So, instead, I wrote a manual on motivating middle schoolers. It included the integration of Imaginal Education and Psychosynthesis. I added some new eye glasses for teachers of children with learning differences to see students more compassionately and in a way they could effectively provide intervention. Easiest to digest were techniques teachers could use, those which I had, in fact, recommended, or seen being delivered in a class room. I presented the outline at a department meeting. Noone was really interested, but I would guess that was more because of the level of burnout at that time of year than the potential brilliance of my creation. SO, there it sits, on a shelf, ready for editing and publishing should I ever get motivated to finish my work. In the meantime, I have begun to write another great book.

What are your dreams that have only just begun to become reality?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hiya
can any individual help me?
I want a cost-free Mmo which has a lots of players plus they (well a lot of them) can chat English. It's critical that the actual servers have a very wide range of gamers. I am looking for similar to Diablo or maybe Wow. I am in addition not willing to pay any money as I have some time to kill nowadays. It can be ok if the actual game is provided for free along with premium content. I've got looked a lot for MMORPGs but none from the web pages definitely say exactly how much players are on-line.
bless you