Friday, October 23, 2009

Retirement


This picture is of me holding up two checks - social security and pension. The first of both of them came on the same day - shortly following my birthday. This event sent me the message, loud and clear, that I no longer have to "scrape for a buck", "earn a wage", "work for a living", etc. Now, at long last I am free to pursue my wildest dreams, if I so choose. Fortunately, my dreams don't cost a lot of money. They aren't very materialistic. For a period in my life - a phase of my life, in fact, I was part of a magnificent world-wide strategy to create demonstration of sustainable human community. This sweep of the planet, included a demonstration community in every time zone, and "human development zones" around nine - three major areas - of these communities which included surrounding communities, too. Then it was over. The time of radical change was over - those who were devoted to social change had arrived on a plateau. Priorties were changing. As I look back now, I can see that there was in-depth work and social permeation to do before the journey could continue. This ws true for my own life, as well. Today, many are beginning to write about and dialogue about the time arriving, once again, to begin to finish the work begun, beyond the demonstration stage to systems transformation. Some say it is a group effort. I would concur, but only where individuals in those groupings each operate as a Mother Teresa or Greg Mortensen, or lone famous folk singer whose poetry addresses this moment in time again - as each once did. This time, the journey can be pure creative venturing. I hope you will be on this journey, too.

Where do you find yourself ready to leave the plateau of social change?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(Came on a postcard - pic of Jean Houston's Dromenon poster -words "There is only the dance..."
I read your blog and was inspirred. Congratulations on your retirement. Keep writing. Keep dancing. Keep be-ing. There is nothing else than "I am"