Monday, May 23, 2011

Antidisestablishmentarianism

Photograph  by Kurt Rolfes while rocking back and forth in a row boat. 
Where the dragon fly hovers, the water is pure.

A-N-T-I-D-I-S-E-S-T-A-B-L-I-S-H-M-E-N-T-A-R-I-A-N-I-S-M.

When I was in elementary school, this word was the longest word in the dictionary - 28 letters.
Being able to spell it without stopping was considered a great feat.
Many of us could do it with ease.

I don't remember it ever coming up in history class as a major political event or otherwise. As I recall, however, there was the Anglican Church. Then there were those who broke away from it - maybe the Baptists. This group would be the disestablishment. Then there were those who thought that was an atrocity and waged a big campaign to stop the (.e.) Baptists - that was antidisestablishementarianism.

i was reminded of this word the other day when I heard a radio political commentary entertainer refer to President Obama as an antidisestablishmentarianist.  That does not correlate, in my perspective, with the original meaning or this political correlation.

(Yes, now and then I have a strong opinion.)

There is the very conservative party - establishment. Then there is the liberal party - the disestablishment. Then there is the Tea Party and very audible media campaign the members of which don't want the change that is happening.This movement, I contend, is antidisestablishmentarianism..

Before I continue, I want to note that I have only made a judgment about the reasoning of the political commentary entertainer, not about who is good, bad, or ugly. This same entertainer has a take on Atlas Shrugged, too, one which I also would argue. But, that is another story.

Many organizations are going through change today. They are hiring systems analysts and organizational developers to assist them in the transition. In each of these, there is the way "we've always done things", those who have either suggested or initiated changes, and those who are raising the roof - or backing off from participation in stoic resignation -  in protest of both the status quo and the attempt to make things work for the better.  These roof raisers and/ or stoics, I contend, are the antidisestablishmentarianists.

There has to be another dynamic working, or nothing is going to change. I didn't create the dynamic, but have come to know it as the transestablishment. Those who stand with a foot in both the established ways of operating and one in change that has become obviously needed. The people who choose to stand with a foot in each dynamic - honoring the way it has been and affirming the indicatives of change, are, from my perspective,  the true  social change agents.

These are the people who will facilitate positive change, - new models in which all the earth belongs to all -  even if the change is of a metamorphic nature.

The transestablishment doesn't have a predetermined map, set of trusted procedures, or a stance that is easily understood.  It is creativity in its purest form - that which comes right from Soul.

Where do you choose to stand?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great photo. Really fine reflection. Love, Lynda

Anonymous said...

Shamai Currim to me

show details 11:17 AM (4 hours ago)

GREAT article!! maybe we are transestablishment synthesists!??! LOL

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great photo. Really fine reflection. Love, Lynda