Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fear Not



An eighteen year old young woman is being trained as the Zumba instructor. She just graduated from high school and has been finding her way into the next phase of her life on this earth. She greets us as we enter with an energetic "O la" and maintains that high energy level as she guides us through the daily routine. Her presence is pure delight.

However, I noticed that I was experiencing her as totally annoying. In meditation, I asked myself, "Why is this happening?" Instead of an answer, I received the question, "What is your greatest fear?" If I wasn't annoyed before, I sure was now. It hadn't occurred to me that my annoyance with her had its source in fear.

What was I fearing?

As I continued to reflect on this intrusion, I wound my way into a cave of bright, clear, vibrant energy. A source within me that had been stored away for what feels like eons.  Believing I might perish by this fire, I ask myself,. "Do I dare feel this energy?"

 My imagination returned to this young woman of 18. I imagined myself at 18, dancing all day in a gym, leading women of all grown up ages. I can tell you right now, when I was 18, this would not have been me. I could not even get up in front of a class and read a book report or give a speech.

Yet here she was, giving her all, confidently and with boundless energy. She was so effulgent, I could feel her joyful heart. She was supporting a strengthening part of me which only shows up on very rare occasions. As I reflect on the situations of my life in which I just dove in and swam with joy, I recall a shark coming along and taking a bite out of my leg - every time. I'm sure that is not a 100% record, but darn close. The result? Failure, retreat, regret that I had let a little thing like a shark biting my leg get in the way of what I was loving..

Recently, I had the opportunity to strut my stuff, so to speak. I did this in front of 100 or so people. I carried it out passionately, even got lost in it all.. I experienced a radical transformation from deep within myself.  No shark came along and bit my leg, either.

Here we are, this 18 year old young woman and this 66 year old "old broad", sharing the experience of giving everythnng that we have to give passionately into the moment we are living.

This annoyance I feel, is a biting shark, not this young woman's great energy.  I say, "Go away shark! You've had your day!"

"It is our turn to have our  moments in the spotlight of passionate expenditure.

We have the go ahead  to  feel joy in every cell of our body and it is our privilege to let it guide our dancing bodies through the day. 

What is your greatest fear? 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your posts,and how you greet your life with such wonder, and many new learnings. You really should publish your journal/blog :)
Shamai

Anonymous said...

I need your courage and energy. I'm feeling the sharks right now. Blessings to you for reminding me. Lynda

Anonymous said...

As part of your wonderful blog piece, you wrote about permission to feel joy in every cell of one's body. That reminded me of a vivid dream I had about a month ago, in which Oprah W. appeared live on stage, and I was among the audience members. Oprah said, "Today you are going to discover your own inborn sense of joy. And here's how . . . close your eyes and remember back to the earliest point in your life when you can remember feeling happy and in a good place . . . . " As she said that, the scene shifted as happens in dreams, and suddenly I was about 3 years old, standing in a vast meadow of lush green scenery surrounded by softly rolling hills; friendly, adorable animals -- lambs, horses, cows, dogs -- were everywhere, playful and communicating with each other and with me. The air was fragrance-filled; the breezes were fresh and soft; the sunshine was like a liquid blessing on my face. I felt perfectly at ease and happy. Then the scene shifted back to Oprah on stage, who was saying, ". . . and now remember, the Joy you have just experienced is who you truly and always are." Love that dream!



Thanks, as always, for your inspiring blog.

Susan

Circlefireflydance said...

TY susan. Ah, my first real response as a blog dialogue!!! What a dream that was. I've never had such clear dreams. Pay close attention.

Anonymous said...

P.S. – I have been fortunate to enjoy a rich dream life for decades, but these clear dreams come only occasionally . . . they are always significant and full of promising encouragement . . .