Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Espirit de Danz!

An Unfinished Draft of a Beginning of a Potential Logo

When I retired, I found it necessary to begin some formal exercise. When working, I got to walk five miles or so a day around the campus.

There was always a reason to be walking from one place to another - something to accomplish - get done - take care of  right away.

Getting into a regular exercise routine  simply for the sake of staying fit and connecting with nature took time.

I walked to the end of the street and back, taking millions of pictures as I went. Needless to say, this was not a power walk. I had to begin just mindfully walking if this were to be an effective ritual.

I went to the YMCA gym to walk on the treadmill when it rained, was too hot to walk, or too cold.  There rarely was anyone there in the morning. I felt uncomfortable when no one else was there, fearing the possibility of being mugged. It was free, but too stressful to keep me motivated.

So, I signed up at Curves, a six  minute walk from my home, paid my $36.80 for a month and gave it a go. At the time of morning when I would go, there were a few other women who came. We got to know each other and I looked forward to exercising daily. During that first month, I found out my supplemental insurance covers the cost, which added a little more to my motivation. I now had some extra bucks to add walking on the treadmill in the gym (given the weather conditions) in the same building.

With my Kindlebook and ipods stocked up with audio books and Abba, I got into a regular five days a week routine of an hour's walk, thirty minutes around the Curves circle of machines, and some yoga stretching.

A great circle of friends developed among the women. Nevertheless, it became somewhat tedious. With  my neighbor accompanying me daily, I kept going anyway. But, a crisis in motivation was definitely rearing its ugly head.

Just in time, the owner of Curves announced that Zumba would be added to the repertoire. We all anticipated its arrival, began learning the moves, got serious about this new addition to our daily exercise.

Zumba is dance. We dance for thirty minutes and do the machines, too. It is a high energy experience. We laugh together and feel great joy. Daily dancing for thirty minutes, sets the pace for dancing through the day.

What was missing was the dance. Now we dance.

I noticed, as I read through this slice of life, that I changed from "I" to "We".
What happens in the dance.?   
Community happens.

Dancing at end of Art of Social Change Workshop, Colquitt, GA 2/ 2011

Shall we dance? 

In what situation would dancing be called for in your life at this time?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The world dances around me enveloping it its ever changing movements. I go from taking baby steps on the frozen foot patch, slipping on the scree, stumbling on a rock, petting a new friend ... a daily dance at the beach with Alfie and Patty. It culminates with riding home in a warm car, treats and a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee in a cold hand!

Love you writings. Your grandchildren are so good looking! What a new life for you!

Love, W

Anonymous said...

wonderful!!! Keep up the good work! You are inspiring!! Love, Lynda

Anonymous said...

his is SO wonderful!! Like a spark of joy arriving in my mailbox...thanks.
Shamai

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog this morning Judi. the one about the lion stands out! How exciting! Rose Anne