Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Parasailing


When my grandson, Wilder, was born, I drove up from Florida to Utica, NY, to pick up his half brother, Brandyn. We drove to NYC with excited anticipation. When we arrived, we were not welcome. We did get to meet Wilder and get some sleep, but it was not a bonding time for any of us.

When Wilder was two, he came to visit me with his father, Rob. His two uncles - Russ and Randy, and Brandyn came too. We all had a fine time.

Five or six years later, Wilder and his mother, Cassandra, lived in Texas. Rob was visiting them and they called me on the phone. I talked to Wilder, who was not very receptive. I would say something to which he responded, "Whatever."

So, I finally said to him, "You may want to get to know me someday. When you are ready, I will be happy to have you in my life."  A good cry eccompanied the letting go process and I left that moment in my heart space as a promise.

Wilder is now fourteen and is visiting me for a week. We have been having a great time.

Sunday, we went parasailing.  There we were one thousand feet in the air floating in the sky over the ocean. I reflected on our journey and on the promise in my heart space that had finally become a flower in full bloom. Although my image of this moment was not one of hanging out in the air like this, it nevertheless was a precious and priceless dream come true.

Three generations later. We are family.


All of us have those memories of estrangement and eventual reunion.
What has been your experience?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Painfilled and now rejoicing. What a journey. Love and care, Lynda

Anonymous said...

Wilder is having a great time -- got a very short but happy phone text --after other texts(telling me to stop bothering him-ha)
The photos look fantastic - as were the ones last year-Thanks so much to you and Dick as well - great memories for Wilder to cherish! Cassandra

Anonymous said...

How sweet! I am truly happy for both of you! Dot

Caroline said...

I hope someday to get to where you are now with Wilder with my own niece and nephew. They don't want to sing Sesame Street sing-along-songs with me anymore.

Reading this, I remember friends I had at 7, 10 and 14 that perhaps would be difficult to connect with now. Because we moved so much, there are many I would love to see again. But it's not the same... we are adults now and share only these memories.. some that might not mean as much as they do to me!

Anonymous said...

This is so nice...I'm happy for you...and that this visit was so special...this time. Laurie