Saturday, July 31, 2010

Daily Rain

Taken by my grandson, Wilder, with my new and improved camera (which I have yet to learn to use fully). It is a photo taken fromt he porch of an afternoon rainstorm. The rain appears to be falling as particles of light.

Many novels that have been written about life in Florida . Many include short afternoon rainstorms.  It's been years since I have experienced this daily down pour. This year , knock on wood, will be a"traditional"  northern Florida summer (sans hurricane or total drought).

This is also the end of my keystone, turning point, momentous, and inevitable 65th year. About to become 66, I am grateful for this daily rain.

I sit on my porch, reflect on all that this year has been, listen to the thunder rumble, watch the lightning strike, and enjoy the washing away and cooling off ritual of it all.

I always appreciate the environment's cooperation with meditation time. It's like being surrounded by a meditative circle of friends.

Kaunda, a former leader of Zambia was a poet as well. A few of his words come back to me often. I use them, still, as I begin these rainstorm meditations. This is it:

"Let us awake to the wonder of the rising sun, where the darkness has warmth, and the rain is a joy!"

Isn't it all a wonder to behold?

How do you connect with this every day way to the other side of letting go, of forgiveness? for the imperfections?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So great to hear of the many life pleasures you are experiencing these days – and thanks for finding in words and photos meaningful ways to share and connect with us all.

A big morning hug,

Susan

Anonymous said...

Your blog is SO soothing.....sorry I wasn't able to get back to you. My life is no longer my own.....and I'm gliding along, doing what needs to be done, and be ing in the moment. Can we communicate via email?? or shall I try to call again????
HUGS...how are you feeling today?????
Shamai

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a cool picture....I can see this so clearly...it's like little drops of sun shining through. Laurie