Thursday, November 12, 2009

Taking Care of Yourself

I believe and am totally committed to human beings taking responsibility for their psychological and physical health - with the help of all that history has created so far. The technological revolution alone did not invent enough to get the job done alone. Tuesday, I went to the cardiologist to get the results of a stress test that i finally had agreed to after a year and a half. It might help to mention that I had congestive heart failure two years ag0. I opted not to have the mitral valve replaced, choosing to live with atrial fibrilation, an enlarged atrium, and an irregular heartbeat to boot. I work with a nutritionist and also agreed to a physician's three prescriptions to reduce the risk of death by heart failure. Anyway, the cardiologist reported that nothing new presented itself in these tests. He did remark that I appear to have improved and am amazingly healthy considering the condition of my worn out old heart.

There are many people to whom I am grateful for my physical state.
Firstly, I am grateful for Louise Hay. I learned affirmation from her little book, Heal YOur Body. I read everyhing she has written, and practice everything she recommended.

Secondly, I am grateful to Carolyn Myss. I've read everything she has written, made a retreat out of the books which were workshops, especially Entering the Castle.

Thirdly, I am grateful to Gary Craig who has made pressure point balancing so accessible to all.I was introduced to "tapping" by another person for whom I am grateful - Martha Crampton (a pioneer in Psychosynthesis). I tried it, and purchased The EFT (emotional freedom technique) Manual to be a guide in this process.

Now that I have begun writing about those for whom I am so grateful for being able to take responsibility for my health, I am sure I could write a whole reference book. Written here are just the tip of an iceberg of techniques, resources, philosophies, and approaches that complement traditional health care providers. Healthy is not about living longer, or forever. Rather, it's about feeling good, about enjoying the passing of a day at a time, being able to focus on your life's work, dancing with limitations and possibilities. I believe that everyone I know has other ways of healing than just going to a doctor, taking a pill, having a treatment, or having surgery.

What are your beliefs about health care and how do you take care of your own psycho-physical well being?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your heart condition. I had no idea. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. I try to take good care of myself with diet, exercise and vitamins. But, who knows? You're right--all that matters is how you FEEL! Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

It is so important for our well beings to take care of not only one another but also ourselves. ♥