Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Information Age Update


Annular Eclipse over Hawaii

Since the beginning of 2012, I have had one "opportunity" after another to update electronic equipment.

 First, the lap top screen went blank - able to replace lap top with a larger screen, more gigs, etc. The printer just plain died, so I got one very cheaply that takes 1/2 the ink, scans, and copies, too.

Then my Kindle screen went blank. I opted for Kindle Fire since my touch-screen ipad clone apps were more than a new Kindle Fire.

Then the flip-top cell phone became increasingly more difficult to stay in a hot spot - probably due to the fact I have an obsolete plan. So, I threw caution to the wind and opted for a smart phone - which will cost three times as much a month - but at least I can complete a phone call without having to call back a couple of times - plus keep up with facebook, email, do voice commands, access a GPS, etc. eetc. etc.

I have a really fine camera with telescopic lenses, but it's cumbersome and takes +1nb pix. My  Easyshare decided it doesn't want to record pix to the card any longer, so I now have a new Sony which takes really high quality shots and video recordings and is like 2"x3" x 1/2".

The electric toothbrush wants to hum on its own and the water pick has one attachment left, so I'm opting soon for an updated water pic.

Coffee pot went kafluey, so we pulled out an old one that didn't used to work but does now.

The TVs and the ipod wouldn't dare act up, given that they now know how easily they can be replaced.

Not electronic, but even the glare proof coating on my glasses began to pearlize, occasioning a change in the limited perspective they were allowing!! Getting new lenses only took one hour, instead of the week long wait of past years. A by-product of that change is just that now I can really see again.

All of these occurrences have made me painfully aware of my acquired dependence on electronics and high technology.

  As long as I can see, they all add a richness to communication with the rest of the world. I am grateful for my ability to acquire these gifts of technology.

I can say I can live without them. I can. But, for the time being, why would I do that?

What is your relationship to the gifts of this technological information age we've been experiencing?

No comments: