Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Aging and Looking Ahead



I am not certain that focusing on "living in the moment" is where it's at for me right now.  I find it rather comfortable to be present in the here and now and do so even when I am not spending time being mindfully aware of this reality.

I have recently become aware of birthdays of people in their 90's who are physically fit, alert, and leading purposeful lives.

A friend of mine, one I have known since I was a child, just turned 80. She is among those healthy, engaged people. She has some age related deterioration physically and mentally, broke her hip recently, and maintains a strict diet to keep her digestive system from interfering with her active life style.

I have been telling myself the story that I will probably not be around much longer, so it would be in my best interests to live in the moment, fully and with great fun.

However, what if I am going to maintain my present health and get to live, given some limitations, for a long time.

Perhaps it behooves me to consider creating a plan for the next 20 years and live each day with that plan in mind.

The big question, then, becomes, "What is worth taking twenty years to move toward at this time of life?"





No comments: