Thursday, September 1, 2011

Shadow is cast by Sun


As a youngster, there was a tropical storm in upstate NY. Dad took my brothers and I to the top of Paris Hill. His car, mostly because of the wind velocity,  didn't have enough horse power to make it up the hill. After several tries, each one head starting further away from the hill, the car was finally able to get up the hill. 

When we arrived, we piled out, full of anticipation catalyzed by Dad's enthusiasm.  We all raised our arms out like angels and experienced the strength of the wind and our own strength in resisting it.

Dad, who was not one to talk to us much at all, surprised me when he announced, "Feel that power?  That is God!"
 
I must have been impressed enough  to have remembered that experience for more than half a century.

Since we three children, who I remember as being very young,  were not blown away or struck by flying debris, I checked the archives for storms in that area around that time.

Tropical storm winds at the end of August 1949 were recorded, reporting no known damage. (And Wow!, I learned there were a few hurricanes in the '50s which hit NYC.)

This year, at the end of August,  the hurricane named  Irene, a thousand miles wide,  headed right up the Atlantic coast. Driving winds and rain created havoc all along the way. In its wake, I am reminded of that storm in 1949 and remember my father's words. 

Hurricanes! Tornadoes! Flooding,! Drought! Earthquakes!  Tsunamis! Wildfires!

We all appear to be standing present to the shadow of God these days with increasing intensity. I have learned from experience, that they all come with the blessing of change in some form or another, although it may not be obvious at the time.


There is a sunshine presence of God that cast these shadows. How will you name the face of the Sun ?

No comments: