Friday, August 26, 2011

Enough with the inner journey already!

New growth on juice orange tree in the yard
Except for Zumba in the morning and dinner with Dick, I spend most of my day alone. I am co-chair of a not-for-profit organization in North America (AAP) which takes up some time. Otherwise, I am  writing,  or cleaning, reading, or meditating to the music,  (and veging out with reruns, of course!)

The inner work has been important and the healing consistently providing new strength for being a co-chair. However, a shift is occurring and I am becoming aware of a desire to respond to the world around me. It's like a magnet - or being a teenager with puppy love.

I thought about going back to work in a new after school program - 2 two hours a day, four days a week, but just couldn't bring myself to fill out the update to send in. I will not do what I do not love anymore.

I made gluten free oatmeal and almond flour chocolate cookies for myself. I made chocolate drop cookies for Dick. I prepared and canned 8 pints of jalapeno relish and packed four quarts of them whole, and froze some other hot peppers.

Then, I began a painting on a canvas I had stretched four years ago. It is the missing link on this vast and deep spirit journey I've been on. The reason that it is the link is this. It gets me creating scenarios for how I might once again live a life of service with meaningful purpose - how to serve the healing of the ecological disasters of our time, contribute to  political systems transformation, shift perspectives on the distribution of resources, join in on the new forms of education needed for our children!

As I paint, scenarios flood into my imagination with the same vengeance as have been memories of yore. How refreshing this has been.  My paintings will not be famous, nor will I. But, I experience happiness while painting a picture and creating a scenario for social change at the same time.

The days are over when I go traipsing through the villages again or attempt to coordinate another retreat. But, my imagination is on a roll and something new is in the forming - something that includes being happy, as well,  - is bound to result.

Where have  you been drawn to responding to the crisis the world is in right now?  What is the key to this happening?




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE where you say you aren't going to co ordinate another retreat....LOL!!

Anonymous said...

DorthyJanes to me

show details 9:27 AM (1 hour ago)

About your "Inner Journey"--Isn't retirement the biggest challenge? People don't realize what it really means to have the time to do "all the things we thought about doing" when we were working, then we're faced with the reality. Problem is, we DO run out of steam.