Friday, September 9, 2011

9/11

Libeskind's original master plan for the World Trade Center site

I was ready to publish another blog, when I remembered it is the 9//11 remembrance time of year. Everyone will be sharing their stories, especially this year, about their experience of the day.

I was a guidance counselor at the time. The preschool teacher came into the office and announced with a definite aura of frenzy, that a plane had just crashed into the World Trade Center. Of course, the TV in the office went on just in time to see the second crash.

Stunned, I watched  blankly with everyone else.  Within a minute or two, I gathered my wits and attended to the preschool teacher, returning with her to her room full of toddlers who, even though they didn't have a clue, were nevertheless paralyzed with fear by the shocked responses of the teachers and assistants.

We sat in a circle, on the alphabet rug. I listened while each told of their reaction to the TV scenes.  All were scared. I worked with them until they relaxed a bit and recovered a sense of trust in being where they were.

I was, of course, especially concerned that the teachers and assistants regained their balance in order to continue the day.

During that time, the Principal made an announcement, knowing that parents would have already called their children's cell phones, in panic, and there would be a teacher or two with the TV on, too.  They were invited to ask for help if they needed it while processing with the students. Then, the day proceeded, TV on full time.

My own personal response was wondering how my son, his wife, and my grandson had fared, as well as friends who work in that neighborhood. Rob was working on a set right there in the plaza.  No cell phone at the time, I had to wait to get home that day to make the calls.

During the next few weeks, I spent a considerable lot of time counseling children and speaking with parents.  Several children had been watching it at home, had family in NYC, and were experiencing 9/11 as if they were actually there.

I attempted to sort out, with each, the difference between actually being there, and actually experiencing its impact while watching TV.  Children are naturally empathic, I believe.

In truth, I believe that it is as natural as breathing. It hides itself as we are wounded by even normal life experiences, but definitely with traumatic life experiences. 


Not one person, was not affected by 9/11. It was a global tragedy - a traumatic event that has influenced major decisions since that day.

In 2008, I visited the gaping hole that remains. The intensity of the energy of emptiness there was overwhelming.  I asked myself, "What will it take to fill this hole that has been left in the hearts of everyone."

Recovering and teaching empathic connection might just be what the world needs at this time.


What was your 9/11 experience?  How has it affected your ability to empathize?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

DorthyJanes to me

show details 9:04 AM (25 minutes ago)

Life has changed for everyone since that day. Maybe it was like Pearl Harbon being attacked when we had no idea what our parents went through until much late in our lives.

Anonymous said...

Or Hiroshima. Took awhile for the news to get to everyone, but definitely made its mark.

Anonymous said...

I think you already receive this, but I was especially thinking of you and the heartache you must have experienced as Rob was so near that area. Thank God, he was safe, but we continue to hold in our hearts all those who did not get to see their loved ones again. Sandi Bradshaw, one of the flight attendants on the plane that crashed in PA, was part of our church congregation, so that brings the situation home to us, although we were not part of that congregation at that time and didn't know her. Seeing her name in the art form below brought the reality a little closer.

Love and care as we strive to build anew. Lynda