Thursday, May 13, 2010

Creative/Artistic Typology


In recent years, many children are being diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, Aspbergers (a form of Autism), and Bipolar Disorder. As a Guidance Counselor, I watched this diagnosed population grow in leaps and bounds in twenty years. The tendency of public education is to then staff these children into special education with an emotionally handicapped label.

Traditional interventions - behavior modification and/or medication and/or the belt - either don't work or makes zombies of these precious human beings. They are very smart, seem to be born operating at the higher end of Bloom's taxonomy, possess a certain brilliance, do not fit in the linear sequential patterns of teaching/learning, and possess gifts and talents which have little value in public education.

These children are also seductive, alluring, intense, charming, independant, and manipulative. I might just have one or two of these disorders and exhibit some of these traits myself - as may also be the case with you.

 This type of personality has always been around. Clinical psychology diagnoses these behaviors as pathology. Many of these personalities become addicts, and thus are labelled as an addictive personality and maybe attachment disorder. Some of us are attracted to these personalities, giving us labels of co-dependence. For others, the red flag rises, the firewall slams shut, back is turned, and feet make haste in another direction.

I prefer to relate to the potential within each encounter, and if there is a label, let it be creative/artistic type.

We all have a tendency to personify or transfer the feelings accompanying being drawn into this energy.   I have learned, about myself, that these personifications - or the people upon which I transfer the attraction, are always, yes always, creative/artistic types.

I have learned that this drama of attraction is creative energy within myself which is coming alive. The relief for the agonizing promise of pure bliss is to express creativity myself, while being grateful for and appreciative of the collegiality and support and friendship of that personification which has drawn me in, hooked me helplessly, and mercifully been the occasion for my own motivity.

By relating, in counseling, to this type of personality, not discounting the diagnoses, guidance more supports the potential, brings mindfulness to the behaviors, and coaches in behaviors to communicate effectively and release creativity.

Where are you being drawn into another's energy with the expectation of bliss?
How do you disidentify and channel your energized creative energies?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Just want to say what a great blog you got here!
I've been around for quite a lot of time, but finally decided to show my appreciation of your work!

Thumbs up, and keep it going!

Cheers
Christian,