Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Me and My Shadow...

In her poem "The Gift," Chinese poet Shu Ting writes, "I dream the dream of a pond who lives not just to mirror the sky but to let willow trees on the bank drink me up."
 
I began writing this blog, not because I wanted everyone to know about me, but because I have a story to tell. I'm not all that confident about what it is that needs to be told, so I sit down and let my fingers dance over the keys.
 
This weekend I experienced a catharsis. I had an awareness moment where I saw that  I didn't honor my mother's last wishes (six years ago!) I dumped this all out to a friend. I was so embarassed. Then I spent a full day forgiving myself, for imposing the catharsis on my friend, and for letting the hospital keep my mother on life support, (not her wishes), until heart finally stopped beating.
 
Thing is, the catharsis was an experience of bringing my shadow into the light. I lost respect for my mother and, although I told myself differently, I carried resentment,stuffing it way down in the dark unconscious. For no reason I can think of, it erupted like a volcano. It might have been due to a movie I saw or something that had recently happened which opened that cellar door.

Then on Monday, I had a miraculous turn of events regarding a secret I have kept for 45 years. I wanted to call the people who were there at the time when I lost respect for my mother.  But, the turn of events might lead to nothing. So, I'm not going to talk about the miracle to anyone.


The long time secret, and how it happened to come to be,  is always on my conscious mind. Its shadow energy influenced many major decisions until I finally brought it into the light. Now, I keep the secret because telling it serves no purposeful end.
 
I was a caring daughter. I was a resentful daughter.
For the other, it happened. I avoided it. It caused more pain. I acknowledged it. I changed.
I changed because I acceepted its having happened - its pain and its joy. It is my life's experience.

And it is Good. I became a pond, nourshing willow trees instead of reflecting the sky of that which I would rather choose to say is not I.

I invite you to visit your secrets' room. What is there you prefer not to see? What is there that is for you only to know?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great wisdom from a dear friend.

Anonymous said...

C'mon share the secret!

Anonymous said...

Such a painful insight. Where do you find the courage to know your shadow? Beth

Anonymous said...

I hadn't thought about knowing and being aware as two differnt phases of owning your experience, but I can see where that is so true. Jim

Anonymous said...

Quit writing for the paper - you need to focus on your book. The treatments must be working by now. Jean

Anonymous said...

Lynda Cock to me
show details 2:19 PM (1 hour ago)


John likes to have credentials to things he quotes so he found this reference to your poetry. Thought you would want to make note of it. Lynda




From: John Cock [mailto:jpc2025@triad.rr.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 8:01 AM
To: 'Lynda Cock'
Subject: RE: [Circle of The Dance] Me and My Shadow...


(after almost 2 hours of research this result)

Two Reasons to Live

I dream the dream of a pond
who lives not just to mirror the sky (<65)
but to let willows trees … on the bank
drink me up….

Everything I feel
is a gift from the earth. (<66)

~Shu Ting, “The Gift,” Out of the Howling Storm: The New Chinese Poetry, pp. 65-66 (adapted), via Judi White’s blog, 4/7/10

Anonymous said...

You really are an interesting person. Things happen in life. We do the best we can at the time.

Caroline said...

This secret has spoken to you and will forever be remembered as the day in history when......

I know what it is to keep such a secret
One which takes on a life of it's own
Fantasies of who it should be and who it continues to be.
Love is boundless within secret's walls
Out you go
Shame me no more.