Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Winter Solstice


Sun rising on new fallen snow.
While a seed deep within the earth.
Sleeping in mindful anticipation
Of flourishing rebirth in Spring.
Sprouting as a new beginning.
A new perspective on ancient wisdom.
A new form for earth's well being.

Recently, at the mercy of an east coast snow storm, I became mindful of the opportunity to practice living in the present moment - mindfully. After a seven hour wait in Union Station, WDC, I boarded the train headed to Florida. After an hour or so of waiting there, I fell asleep, waking seven hours later only one hour from WDC. The woman next to me said we'd been there for two hours. We were there for two hours more. People were getting antsy and complaining. There had been the same anxiety in the station and several outbursts of anger at the delays and lack of information.

The previous morning, before the trek into the new fallen snow to get to the symposium I was in WDC attending, I had meditated on three questions provided by Pat Webb of the Silence Foundation: 
(1) What is alive in me today?  I experienced an abundance of gratitude for this snowy day ahead.
(2) What am I open to receive?  I was looking forward to experiencing each personal encounter.
(3) What am I willing to give?  I experienced my heart opening to send love's light into the day.

I grew up knee deep in snow, but it has been years since I experienced being right in it. I was delighted with the experience, inconvenience that it was. When feeling discouraged by the waiting time and empathizing with the frustration of others on the train, I did share with a few how thankful I was for being able to participate first hand in what I might otherwise have only seen happening on TV this storm of the century. Needless to say, occasionally, this was not well received.

While the train was moving ever so slowly through the snow, I was able to take many photographs - pictures which hold nature's awe and allowed me to step outside the tension and frustrattion. This is one of them accompanied by the poetry which gushed from my heart's light.

Mindfulness practice is such a healing activity. I become silent, listen to the silence, and listen to my heart.  What's your mindfulness practice?


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judi I'm so glad you got to experience the snow if only for a day or two!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Judi, for the lovely poem. I love Winter Solstice as it helalds the return of the light. One of my favorite months is February because the growth of the light is apparent on an almost daily basis.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture!! and beautiful new beginnings, offered to us in the depth of the life seed.
Looking forward to seeing you next month.

Anonymous said...

G’mornin’, Judi!

You are a constant amazement – this poem in your holiday greeting is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Hi Judi,

Thank you for your lovely statement, so appropriate for this season. It
was such a treat to spend time with you at the Symposium! A fine,
meaningful event, made unforgettable by the "storm of the century."

Anonymous said...

So, when is winter going to be over? That's what all the New Englanders wonder. Lucky you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Awesome poetry, Judi.
Make me think of the Marianne Moore definition of poetry ..."Imaginary gardens with real toads in them" Kathleen