Sunday, April 1, 2012

Destination: Today

Didn't get perrmission to use this, nor do I know where it originated, but isn't it awesome?


This month, I participated in a series of teleconference workshops. they were a pioneering adventure, one which I wasn't about to miss.

The final of five workshops was about contemplation time in a busy world.  The leader had studies with Thich Nat Hanh, the Vietnamese Buddhist,  since the 1980's and shared how she practices. One of t he questions she asked us to share in pairs was something like, "What keeps us from slowing down and taking time?"

Even though I do have a rich solitary life, the question was still relevant.

May answer:  I have an ailing heart and have much I would like to get done before I go.

Her response was, "You'll never get it all done.". She said this not only once but four times.

Needless to say, I experienced the offense, even though I knew this was true.

This event reminded me of the famous turning point lines in Requiem for A Heavyweight, where Ma says, "Where do you want it? Here or in the alley?"

I really don't want to answer this one more time in my life.  Nevertheless, it is a question that each of us are asked in some form or other almost daily if not more often.

I prefer here and today, now, thank you. this is all I have and it definitely is worth living with eyes open wide, in response to the really real.

Of course, in the movie, the line was about doing what Ma wanted or getting shot. So Ma got her way.
So, I do what Ma wants, metaphorically speaking.

How about you?  Where do you want it? Here or in the alley?


No comments: