Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Joy of Writing



I write.

I write this blog and I am writing a book.

I get into a place of passion and writing is a pure joy as I get lost in the wonder of it all.

Recently, I asked an editor friend for feedback on the nature of the content and style of the book I am writing. The response was a whole list of grammatical errors from commas to syntax.

I was angry and frustrated. I felt demeaned. I cried and swore I would give up writing altogether. It wasn't just this event. This was the end of my patience with  several attempts at feedback.

Emotions had their way for awhile until volition stepped in and I decided to meditate.

I sat quietly, got comfortable, relaxed, and focused on breathing in and breathing out.

First, I listened to myself hash it over and over, while I gently encouraged the rampage to slow down and eventually stop. Then I reflected on exactly what had gone down to get me into this state - first I did this, then that happened, then........ until I had disidentified from my own experience and could see it as it had occurred without judgment.

Secondly, I listened and watched this outrage which had consumed me. I asked, "Who is this raging on like this?" As the energy personified, I listened and watched as an "aha" emerged and a light revealed its presence in all its glory. As the ranting eased, the personified energy acknowledged,  I watched it slowly transform back into writer energy.

With that, finally, I returned to writing the book. I put on some music, and followed my fingers on the keyboard into that creative source. The images flowed onto the page as I let go of volition and wrote spontaneously with wild abandon again.

I never cease to be amazed at the flow of the creative process. I am slowly learning to adjust to others' not rising up to meet my expectations and to just look elsewhere if feedback is really an important interlude to the writing process. And when I need a break to process,to  just take one.

What has been your experience with the creative process?

2 comments:

Circlefireflydance said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Judi,
Enjoyed your blog entry and wanted to comment on your response to an editor’s critique of your writing. I have dealt with editors for thirty plus years. One of my conclusions is that the kind of mind required for editing is specific and a block to writing. To date I have worked with many editors, none of which write. My friend Katrina, who is an editor on a national news magazine, said even as a child in elementary school, errors (spelling, grammar, etc) stood out on the page as if highlit. Editing requires a certain kind of brain wiring. She edits but does not write. Years ago my high school students and I wrote two books, each with a different editor. One was a high school teacher who, like college profs, pointed out only structural errors. Jane was different; she noted issues of clarity, a quality that makes a better editor. While she has facilitated several books for others, she has published nothing. My niece is a good proofer as she explains why and I learn. Another lesson from magazine writing is that editors often make changes based on how they would have written the same material (So do the people who oversee doctoral dissertations). And then there are commas. Every English teacher swears it’s an exact science. Poo! I had to submit a copy of my dissertation to 6 professors on my committee to make final corrections. I sat there with all 6 trying to reconcile differing comma changes and consistently 2-3 would contradict each other. Editors are necessary, I can’t spell and my grammar is worse. But, I learned that if your writing is interesting, clear and compelling, editors are happy to make corrections. So keep doing exactly what you did. Process the criticism and get back to writing. What has helped me is a writer’s group. We do grammar and much more. Important stuff for the group is much deeper; intent, clarity, the beauty of a well crafted sentence. Writer’s conferences help if you want to get an agent and a publisher (as opposed to self-publishing). You go girl, Kathy