Thursday, July 7, 2011

Will You Remember?

The candle lighting corner of  a Coptic chapel in the heart of St. Augustine. 
The candle I lit  was for the success of a new course that was soon to make its debut.


From philosopher Jonathan Zap:
"An extremely effective and grounded magical practice is to identify your big dreams, the missions you really need to accomplish in this lifetime. The test of a big dream comes from asking yourself, 'Will I remember this well on my death bed?' If you have a big dream, you will probably find that to accomplish it will require a minimum of two hours of devoted activity per day."


This quote catalyzed a long reflection on the big dreams I've had in my life's time. What occurs to me most prominently is that I have experienced what I would consider a huge  portion of earth shattering unexpected outcomes. I can do a great PR job on the many dreams that have come true, but they have all been accompanied with many, many set backs-  and brick walls even-  along the way. I wouldn't have missed it all for anything,of course,  and as Bob Dylan puts it, "Its All Good".

What will I remember on my dearth bed?  Emotionally overcharged events, yes indeed.

I will remember that I spent most of my life learning to own my mistakes, yes, but especially my uniqueness as a gift that I finally lived. I will be remembering the day I learned to love me being me. Maybe I will remember the event where it finally sunk in or maybe I will remember the journey from that point on.

I have met many unforgettable  people, some who have a huge list of dreams come true and make a lot of money because of them. I have met many unforgettable people who have no special claim to fame.   What they all have in common is a style of being present to the way it is without pretense or expectation. I have felt free to be me in their presence and have felt their freedom in being who they are, where they are, and what they are.

I want to be at death's door having left that presence behind in the lives of those I have encountered. I want to leave the feeling with them that they are free to be in every sense of that energy.

Since this philosopher suggests it means spending at least two hours a day on being present with that energy within myself, I still have a lot  of practicing to do, I know.

I have no other dreams than that this earth full of people can know this freedom. It is the heart of alleviating human suffering, whether it shows up as abject poverty or manic depression.

 Is it time to ask yourself, 'What is it I will be remembering  on my death bed?'  

No comments: