Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Gift of a Wreath

A wreath of artificial everygreen and artificial fruit and berries - real pine cones and nuts. It sits in the center of the coffee table in my living room.

I don't remember the origin and historical significance of a wreath with nuts and fruits ,pine cones, and dried berries. I remember being mesmerized by them when I was young,  eventually creating one every year for the center of the table. Nowadays, I pull out of storage one I made of jeweled fruit several years ago. After, reattaching the one or two which have fallen from their hot glued place,  I put it in the center of the table, and in the center of it, I place a candle.

The encounters with these wreaths are enough to fill the wreath with meaning. 

One of the memories, or maybe more than one, was the relating the story of its historical significance. Even though I can't remember the story, I remember that there is history embedded in the wreath with fruit, nuts, pine cones, and berries. 

The wreath itself, along with its tokens of a harvest, stand as the unending recycling of life.

Best of all, is the priceless sense of awe I observe in the eyes of someone who never saw this kind of wreath before. The energy in the room begins to dance in wonder.


Then the questions begin.  What is it about a wreath that makes us more human


Happy New Year Everyone!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this. Becky Eastham