Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Advent Aging

 Send in the clowns. There must be the clowns.

At this time of year, I am always filled with anticipation. It may be because I was brought up involved in church and it is now Advent. I remember, now, the four weeks of  "O Come Emmanuel" , lighting a new candle each Sunday in anticipation of lighting the white one in the center on Christmas.  I loved living in New York City at this time of year. I especially miss Paul Winter's presentations of the Solstice celebration at St. Johns Cathedral.

Here in Crescent City, at this time of year, the Presbyterian Church holds its annual holiday tea. There are gifts and crafts that the Women's Club spent all year making.

Some of the crafts made by the women during the year

The silver tea service comes out of storage and sits at the head of a table covered with novelty finger foods - sandwiches without crusts, various types of fudge, and tasty cookies. There is a nativity scene in its center that looks like gold trimmed] Lenox.china.

 The tea table full of goodies

This year, when I walked around the big room, the man who lives around the corner was playing holiday tunes on the piano.

 Alan at the piano

Betty, whose very rich and exciting life I had written up in my column , "It's Your Turn, in April, didn't recognize me.  I've known her for years. She finally recalled me through telling me about her two Himalayan cats- which she doesn't have, but I do.

 Betty, bless her heart.

There was a new woman serving the tea and coffee. Mrs. Suggs always wore a fancy cocktail dress for the occasion. She is not able to get around any longer.

Two women in their late seventies, pillars of the Women's Club for years, looked ten years younger than last year. Several women my age were tending to the food and beverage supply, all donned in red aprons.

 Patricia in her apron at the kitchen door

When Minnie Todd was no longer able to make the divinity fudge and meringues, I vowed to pick up the tradition. I did it for one year - made hundreds of meringues - someone came and bought most of them for a party she was having.

Wilhelmina, who for years made framed trees from old jewelry and novelties made of beads, had reported last year was the last. But, she was back with a whole new collection of framed trees, but was having a close out sale on the beaded crafts. I bought them all.

 Wilhelmina and her artwork - framed trees made of old pieces of jewelry

Every year, I buy raffle tickets for a crocheted afghan or colorful handmade quilt. Finally, this year I won a raffle.

 The afghan I won in the raffle

This holiday tea used to be the highlight of the season for Crescent City. Now, on the same day,  the South Putnam Women's Club holiday bazaar happens on in the park. There's even a parade.

 Santa is a big part of the annual parade

As I sat munching on dainty finger foods, and sipping decaf coffee from a real china cup, I observed everyone interacting. I used to know everyone who was in the room. I could go sit anywhere and get caught up on what was happening. This year, I sat next to a young woman and two seven year old girls. The young woman and I smiled at each other, while watching the girls were thoroughly enjoying  their goodies and tea served from real china cups.

Then, I got up, took a lot of pictures, and went on my way.

This is a slice of life. It is slice of the mundane on the one hand. On the other hand, t is a glimpse of the inevitability of change. I just wrote about what was going on, never mentioning the churning going on inside of me about the absurdity I experience in the passing away-ness of everything.  Every time I go to places where I have been going for years, I discover that everything - yes everything - is very obviously changing.

Yet there is a certain constancy in every present. For me, it is that there is a beginning, there is an ending, and in between, there is a clown on a bicycle, determined to dare me to anticipate newness.  How do you describe that constancy?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep 'em coming, dear friend. What a beautiful illustration of change and looking for the new. Love and care, Lynda

Anonymous said...

Want to know how those 70 somethings managed to look 10 years younger. What is their secret????
Nice piece, well written, as usual. Dot