Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Same Smile

Hope, Faith, Birth, Purity, Renewal, Promise, Passion, Becoming


Two contributing factors to the writing of this blog entry:

One - My first born and only daughter will have a birthday this week. Her own second born daughter is within eighteen days of the age that I gave birth to her mother.

The other - Reading the book, The Same Smile, a story written by a mother and daughter telling of their saga of reuniting after many years, following adoption.

Our journeys have many similarities, one of which is the endless presence of  hope for reconciliation.

In the book, mother and daughter shared pictures. My daughter has shared pictures, but mine were tucked away in the closet. Until yesterday, in a curious search, I believed most were lost in one of the hurricanes which ravaged through the house a few years back.

Most of them have been lost, but I found a treasure trove of bits and pieces of history, which I have chosen as a beginning,  to share with her as a birthday present.

If she chooses someday to come and visit me here in my home, there is still more to share. And, when my scanner works again, I'll scan more to send.

In reading The Same Smile, I became aware of the connective power of sharing pictures. I have  perused my daughter's "album of yore" over and over again searching for more glimmers of commonality. She carries much of her natural father's energy as well as mine.

So, having wondered what it is that I can share with her to assist that connective power within her, I am now hoping that these few photos will be the gift she needs for us to be able to become closer.

Both of us, and her natural father, too, carry the energy of being able to keep our distance - aloof, yet sensitively observant.

Having stuffed down my regrets at relinquishing all rights to my daughter when she was ten days old, they, as might have been expected, came out of their hiding place, when we did reunite.

Given the opportunity for unconditionally forgiving myself and everyone involved, I found a new strength for this process in getting to know my granddaughter.  For many reasons, I suspect - no, I know that I made the right decision way back then - given who I was and my circumstances at that age.

Now, today, creating the future as we go, is  is all there is for us to live. Sharing photos and stories which accompany the stories is like a Celtic circle dance  - this dance weaving a long held dream of reconciliation, into our lives today.

It will happen or it won't happen. I am hoping actively that it will happen for us.

How have you brought the past into today through photos and stories?  What has been the result? 

Hello!!!









.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog, in fact arrived by checking yahoo and google for a comparable issue to this post. Which means this might be a late post nevertheless keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

I just signed up to your blogs rss feed. Will you post more on this subject?

Circlefireflydance said...

I have written on this subject quite a bit. The journey is woven in and through this blog. I have written those posts in a separate blog: agoldenbutterfly.blogspot.com. The excitement of reuniting has passed now. There is not much communiction among us. I am watching and waiting to see how this garden grows. Judi