Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Grotto Giusti - the Descent into Hell


There are mineral springs on the surface and in caves  in Montecatini Termi in Tuscany, about an hour from Firenze by train.

 Three of us ventured off to sit in the mineral springs and feel its healing in our bodies.

 At the spa we chose, which happened to be the only one open at this time of year, we bathed in the pool, did aqua massage and then each had different massages. Mine was an aryuvedic massage, done by a real master in energy healing.

 I left burning with desire and headed to the grotto.

 I took off all my clothes - again - and donned a heavy white canvas robe, designed expressly for the trek into the grotto.

 Walking slowly down a long slope, I stepped through a door made of strips of plastic, and entered the dark cave. It was lit by dim spotlights placed strategically.

 There are three locations in this grotto, with steam rising from deep cavernous streams, heated by a volcanic source of fire. They are called inferno, purgatory, and hell.

 I wandered around the paths of inferno, breathing in the steam comfortably and feeling myself relaxing even more deeply than from the extremely relaxing massage. As I descended in to purgatory, the steaming streams seemed to be even more deeply cut into the rock laded with stalagmites and stalicites. I stood silently focusing diligently on deep breathing. I was not having much success. In fact, my heart began to beat strongly. Amazingly enough, the beats were strong and steady, unlike their every day state of being where they are weak and irregular.

 I was totally alone here in purgatory. No one else had ventured into the caves. I faced toward hell, estimating how long it would take to get there. On the other side of it, was a place to refresh and cool down.

Here I was, right in the middle of the journey between inferno and hell, which up to this day, I would have considered one and the same. Intending to be strong and transcend this wildly beating heart, which I was beginning to experience as one with the heart beat of the caverns,

 I contemplated the risks and sense of adventure in going on straight to hell. Better judgment got the better of me and I headed back toward inferno and back on up the path through the plastic strips of curtain, and up the slope.

 As cooler, drier air surrounded me, I nevertheless found it difficult to ascend. Half way to the top, I noticed a ledge and immediately sat down on the side of the path. The attendant was almost chanting, 'You will be all right. Breathe deeply, relax...".  He brought me some cold water in a small glass, then brought me more twice again.

 I do have to say, at this point, I did not experience the trek as fearful. Perhaps overwhelming. The canvas cloak was soaked, indicating that there was much more steam in that grotto than I was feeling on my face and hands - yes, and feet.

 When, my heart returned to a somewhat normal-for-me state of being, I ventured on up the rest of the slope, went into the dressing room, removed the soaking cloak, and redressed.

 Not disappointed for not taking the whole journey, exhilarated by what I had seen, heard (which was mostly the beating of my heart), and felt, I began to sum up the blessing the descent had been. I heard and felt my heart beating as normally as a healthy heart would be beating. I was sure that the intensity of the steam in purgatory was not, however, worth the endurance. Nor was I sure that it was other than illusion. I'll never know for sure.

 I do have to say that I am left with wondering what would have been the experience of hell.  But, alas, I guess I will have to wait for another day to go hell!!!!!

Remember a time when the environment, for you, was entirely overwhelming. Describe the experience.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Left anonymously


Thank you for sharing. Not to many people in your position are so gracious. Your article was very poignant and understandable. It helped me to understand very clearly. Thank you for your help.

Anonymous said...

Amazing photo and story - thanks for sharing! Left on facebook by christine Barber

Anonymous said...

Left on Facebook by Karin Jongsma
Quite some time ago I camped out at Lago d'Iseo, a smaller lake in the Northern part of Italy. At a point I was sitting outside with a view at the lake. As it was very early in the year, it was very quiet and I was sitting there all by myself. I remember vividly how the lake and the universe above me melted together and I had this strong feeling of being one with it all. My thought at that point was: if I die here and now it will be ok as if borders between life and afterlife were lifted. I was at complete peace. I never, ever felt it that strong again. (And I never shared this story ever before, :-D )

Anonymous said...

A perfect trip Left on Facebook by dorothy Janes